Search Captain's European Butterfly Guide
Use the form below to search for documents in this web containing specific words or combinations of words. The text search engine will display a weighted list of matching documents, with better matches shown first. Each list item is a link to a matching document; if the document has a title it will be shown, otherwise only the document's file name is displayed. A brief explanation of the query language is available, along with examples.
Search the whole web with Yahoo! A directory that will give categorised results, thereby limiting the amount of matches. Good for a general query.For more specific queries try a Search Engine like Alta Vista. This will bring up any pages containing your required text, often many hundreds of thousands! Try typing the Latin Name of a species though and you'll see the benefits of this type of Search. A useful hint is to put an exact phrase in speech marks. For example searching for "Callophrys avis" will only find pages with those two words adjacent and in the same order.
The text search engine allows queries to be formed from arbitrary Boolean expressions containing the keywords AND, OR, and NOT, and grouped with parentheses. For example:
- small blue
- finds documents containing 'small' or 'blue' e.g. small white, small blue, common blue etc..
- small or blue
- same as above
- small and blue
- finds documents containing both 'small' and 'blue' e.g. small blue
- blue not small
- finds documents containing 'blue' but not 'small' e.g. blues but not small blue
- (blue not small) and cinquefoil
- finds documents containing 'cinquefoil', plus 'blue' but not 'small'
- finds documents containing words starting with 'green'
© All pictures in these pages copyright to Simon Coombes. Permission must be sought and obtained for any use.